- Job Seekers
- Featured Industries
- Online Workshops
- Other Resources
- My Account
Protect Yourself Online
At JobCenterOfWisconsin.com (JCW), the security and satisfaction of all registered job seekers has always been, and will continue to be, a priority. As we continue to seek ways to protect our system from attempts to misuse the website, we also know that scammers are getting more sophisticated. As such, it is also vital for job seekers to remain vigilant and proactive in protecting themselves from any potential scams involving any online employment sites.
Be wary of online business opportunities, work-at-home promises, and sites or postings that request personal information. Please keep in mind that most employers will conduct a personal face-to-face interview before making a job offer.
As with any website, please use caution and your best judgment when using JobCenterofWisconsin.com and sharing your information with others.
Often the scammers will use a "spoofed" email, a forgery of an email header so that the message appears to have originated from someone or somewhere other than the actual source. The official email address for JCW is JobCenterofWisconsin@dwd.wisconsin.gov.
The request for an interview usually has the hallmarks of an employment scam:
- The interview is for a job you did not apply for
- Generic webmail account (Examples: Gmail, Yahoo or Hotmail) for interview contact
- Request for a "Google Hangout" interview for work-at-home position
- Vague or non-existent job duties and non-specific job title
- Dear "Applicant," not your name
- Questionable spelling and capitalization in the text
- Company located outside the U.S.
Actions to take:
- Delete the emails, have no further contact with the sender, and block/mark the sender as spam.
- Review the Federal Trade Commission website https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0243-job-scams and consider filing a complaint.
- Complaints may also be filed with the WI Dept. of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection
https://mydatcp.wi.gov/ - (800) 422-7128 - DATCPHotline@wisconsin.gov
- Avoid Unemployment Scams